See all my books!

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Anti-German hatred among Americans as WWI begins; lynchings, riots, prejudice abounded

When war broke out in Europe in 1914, many in the USA exhibited anti-German attitudes. Newspapers ran cartoons that vilified the Kaiser and his soldiers and allies. Yet more than 1/3 of Americans were of German descent.
If cartoons in magazines and newspapers were the most visible, other actions showed American fear and bias toward the British and French.


Riots broke out in many cities. In Chicago, one man was hanged on suspicion of being a German sympathizer.
In my own German-American family where my father's family were 3rd generation Americans and where they spoke German, my grandfather warned his children to speak only English outside the house. My father remembers clearly that among his friends who were German-Americans, they had this warning, too.


While much of this editorializing might be understood as an effort by the government to propagandize the war effort—and gain support financially from the citizens, it is also a representation of what happens to people's emotional predisposition when attacked or when war seems to be the most viable solution to a political problem.

5 comments:

  1. I have never ever got this type of informative and easy contents yet I enjoyed reading these.
    see this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everyone,
    My name is Mr.Robert, I'm a loan lender and I
    give out loans without any upfront payments.

    Are you in need of commercial or business loan to either expand your
    business, or pay up your bills? If yes here is an offer from a
    Registered, Government approved and Licensed private lender,we offer
    loan at 3% rate and we give out loans in the range of $5,000 to
    $10,000,000.00.

    Contact us today at {
    robertloanoffer01@gmail.com} and get your loan to start up
    business and other financial difficulties.


    ReplyDelete